Search

how hungary happened

A little over two years ago, I got a phone call that would change my life as I knew it. It was a shock, followed by a complete overwhelming excitement, and then followed by a totally unnerving slew of "what ifs/hows/whens, etc.?"



In August of 2016 I was newly engaged to my new fiancé answering the call for duty only two weeks after popping the question. He wasn't due home until 6 months later. Thank goodness for technology where we could keep up coms (oh boy- that's the Mr.'s military speak getting to me) er, continue to be in communication via the internet while he was away. However, and I'll never forget this, it was a beginning of a new time. Literally, it was the January 1, 2017 and I was on a girl's trip in LA. We were walking to a friend's house to watch the Tournament of Roses Parade from their porch when my phone rang from some crazy looking undisclosed number. Of course, I knew immediately who was calling and I had to answer. Getting a legitimate phone call was rare, and I had a drop in my gut thinking something must be wrong.



The girls went ahead inside so I could talk to him. (Him being my deployed fiancé if you didn't catch that part.) He casually said, "hello." I immediately didn't understand why he was acting so cool and thought he was trying to keep me calm. I prepared for some bad news- whether he was staying for six months longer, or something bad happened elsewhere, I had no idea. He then said, "I have one month when I return from overseas... to pack the house and get everything in order to go back overseas..." Oh, of course. That was the "bad" news I prepared myself for. He was getting a longer deployment. But why was he coming home first if he was going right back, I wondered? He then said, "we're moving to Hungary!" Oh. OH! I was breathless.


It took a moment for me to understand, and don't get me wrong, I absolutely l-o-v-e adventure and have always been on the go and spontaneous, but this was different. I had so many questions, SO many questions, but the phone time was very limited, so I was left with this new piece of information to speculate over (and over and over.) I opened the friend's apartment door and my friends inside looked at me while I said, "I'm moving to Hungary!" Then I cried.


...Then we drank champagne. I mean, it was a new year and we had to celebrate! So many things to celebrate! I had no idea what was in store for Chris and I. NO IDEA. (Still no idea, ha!) The next few months were kind of a blur. He came home, yay happy homecoming! We packed, we got papers and doctor's and vet's visits out of the way, we got our apartment lease terminated, flights booked, etc. Oh yeah, a big one for me- I quit my job! I mean, I worked basically a decade building a career and a name for myself doing what I thoroughly enjoyed. Couldn't have been happier! Well, I love adventure more and this unique opportunity did not warrant a second thought to me NOT going. And lastly, we got married! Paper married, if you will, we had to be married for me to join him in this next step. That's military life for ya. We had our celebration/ ceremony/ call it what you will in spring of 2018. 


So in that last paragraph I summed up about 3 months of planning and prep work and a lot of brain power and trusting His will that we were doing the right thing, that we were going to be okay! Now imagine you've arrived at an airport in Austria, somewhere you've never been before- all alone- and with 3 extra large suitcases and one VERY heavy large dog kennel. Not knowing how to speak the language, no one can be found to help translate, you have no local currency and cannot access your bank card without it being denied for potential fraud, and you have no cell service in the foreign country. TALK ABOUT STRESS. Chris had left for his report date one month earlier than me, so he was at least meeting me on the other side of the customs wall. BUT HOW DO I GET THERE? Do I leave the dog in the kennel and go out and take all the luggage to Chris and then come back for the dog? Or vice versa? I mean, there's suitcases everywhere in baggage claim, can't I just set them aside by the conveyor belt for 10 minutes and come back for them? I can't take the dog out of the kennel and have him walk through- he needs to be cleared first, but then I wouldn't be able to carry his empty kennel anyway. Can't get a luggage cart because the reasons listed above (no money, especially no coins- Europe's prized form of currency, no bank card access...) Couldn't even figure out how to push the freaking cart if I had money anyway! They were push-down-to-roll handlebars, when you release there's an automatic brake on. I didn't know any of this and definitely was in a middle of my own stress-ball when some kind stranger took pity on me and helped me somehow pile my luggage on theirs and finaggled our burdensome stacks through to the other side. That was my first welcome to life in Europe.


Looking back, I giggle. Like, a lot actually. Everything in that moment mattered SO MUCH and I didn't realize how beautiful the experience in front of me was. After my time living abroad, I can say with confidence that humans are generally good. We are all humans, and even though we don't all speak the same language with our mouths, we all know hunger, struggle, and love. There have been many times now- MANY that I am reminded of this. I mean, one of my questions to Chris when he was already living overseas was about the toilet paper. So silly, I know now! Then I was mid freak-out, so give me a break! I needed to prepare myself for the huge life change I was going to make, and needed to know details of the differences. The rolls of TP are a teeny bit smaller width here, but in real life, that has no matter at all. OMG I'm embarrassed for my past self that I just wrote that on the internet. I had no idea what I didn't know. In those times, I didn't even recognize how small my "only knowing what I currently know" world was.




Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer. Fortunately for me, I had the opportunity to LIVE overseas AND travel at the same time. Boom! For almost two years I didn't remain still at our new home in Hungary for more than two weeks at a time. There's so much of the world to see! However, the point of this post was to share what my daily life in Hungary was like. I think I got away from that a little, but oh well, when the spirit moves you- go with it!




I won't elaborate too much now, there will be another post about it I'm sure. Because I am legally not allowed to work in Hungary, the days are filled with much more investments than paychecks. I have invested most of my time into our community here, volunteering in ways to raise money for the schools, supporting events that assist in purchasing medical equipment and necessities for the local hospital, and walking and playing with pups at the local animal shelter. Other things have been richly invested in as well.



Friendships- supporting each other when going through pregnancy or sickness, when our animals are sick and need to get in touch with a vet on a holiday, when our cars are broken and we assist each other in giving rides to the store, and so much more. Self- learning to cook and making healthier food choices, committing to a workout schedule and setting goals to attain, reading in both book clubs and Bible study groups to continue education and grow beliefs, and so much more. Marriage- spending more quality time together, deepening our bond through travel and new experiences together, and for the first time in our personal relationship- having the closest thing to a "normal" life. Chris gets to come home from the office at "normal" 8-5 most days. This is the most time we've ever spent together! Yes, "normal" is in quotes, just a reminder it's not a universal reality, and I am grateful for the time I do have with him- whenever that may be. Hopefully you understand my intent with the use.




The one thing that I have invested in during my time overseas that combines all three of the aforementioned subjects: community, self, and marriage- is this blog! Christopher and my friends here support me in this endeavor and are a large part of why it began in the first place. Along with you of course, my friends all over the world! Last but definitely not least, I also started it for myself, to invest in telling my story and invest in my future with things I love: adventure, life, and design.



You may have noticed that yes, I keep saying "during my time overseas..." or "had the opportunity to live overseas." Our time here is quickly drawing to a close... and although I want to write the adjective unfortunately, I am too fortunate to have learned and experienced so much in this time. Again, I'll stop myself and save the rest for later, but there is some news that needs to be shared. Without ability to answer questions regarding exact details yet I'll still share the SPOILER ALERT.... we are moving back to the States this spring!

Life is happening friends! Enjoy the adventure!

Lifestyle pics by the one and only magic-making friend of mine Kristin of Kristin Ariel Photography
Read my post on her at my Photography page here.

No comments

Post a Comment