Search

content break

The world always demands "more, more." Does it ever simply tell you "you are enough." Good enough, strong enough, beautiful enough?


| Whenever you feel unloved, unimportant, or insecure, remember to whom you belong | Ephesians 2:19-22 |

Quite frankly, I stepped into this wannabe Instagram-famous, travel-lust life, blogging fur momma role for friends and family and yet, mostly for myself. I needed somewhere to make an impact, for something or someone to make me feel justified simply by reading my words. Life as I knew it dramatically changed over the course of the past two years, and I had no idea how to navigate it. I wanted to share my story, but ever so sneakily did competition arise within my own head. I had to instantly be the best, have the best, post the best. It was continuous, it was time consuming, it was emotionally draining. It was never good enough.


I quickly was overwhelmed, drowning in something I myself created! I wasn't enjoying what I was sharing, and that was the entire point. Thankfully, around the time I realized I was never "good enough" or "posting enough," we took a travel hiatus. That on it's own has a lot of emotions behind it- I'll get into that story later- but it forced me to have a schedule and focus on my own as-it's-happening life. I live to be in the moment, but somehow it feels fake, somewhat forced, to share those things. Sometimes it's private. Sometimes it's more memorable when you don't take a photo. Sometimes there are bad days- and who wants to see photos of someone when they're in PJs with no makeup and probably crying into a tub of ice cream?


That's real life- and all those events are what make life beautiful. There's no up without down, good without bad. One of my very favorite soul sisters and I have had many conversations about the "seasons" of life. Not just autumn and winter, more in relation to life challenges. Sometimes it's hard to make it through a dreary bitter cold winter (hardships,) but once the blooms of spring and sun in summer arrive (joyful times,) it was definitely worth it.


I love the platforms that are built to connect citizens of the world. There are so many benefits and wonderful surprises in how closely connected we all are. However, I have noticed many Instagram influencers disconnecting from social media for similar reasons noted above. To sum it up in a great Pinterest-worthy quote I've heard, I was living to work and forgetting to actually live.


Back to my IRL-life I was enjoying while social media-free, the most amazing surprise presented itself to us. Looking back, I can realize how not-so-surprising it was for some of my friends as I had mentioned this desire multiple times. Never did I actually think it would come to fruition. Call if my mid-mid-life crisis, but among another looming drastic life change (again, will discuss later,) I needed to do something drastic. Now, calm yourself, no hairs on my head were getting cut to the scalp. I just wanted a puppy!


So, sweet baby Ellie Rey presented herself as a 9 week old golden retriever that needed a furever home. Friends had originally picked her out but she wasn't the best fit for them, so she was looking to be rehomed as the breeders would have put her down if she was returned. She has a vision impairment that is still to be determined if she will forever be able to only see shadow-like figures, or if it will improve with her age. Minutes after notification of her situation, we went to see her and brought her home for a trial. Immediately after introductions to her brothers, we knew she was a perfect fit for our family.


Rey is the best reminder that life goes by too quickly and I needed to be present to enjoy every little moment. Yes, those middle of the night potty trips and early mornings. Yes, even those moments where I just mopped the entire house and she pees right in the middle of my clean floor. Ugh, potty training! She has (too!) quickly grown and is loving to play with all three of her brothers- Riley, Richard, and her blood brother Neuman who lives across the street. She nibbles on our toes, then sleeps right at our feet. Her baby belly is so round and for some reason it's the most adorable thing. She has curls behind her ears that will probably be grown out in a few weeks.


For the time being, I am going to focus on my little family and the time I have with my friends overseas. When something speaks to my soul, I will share. Until then, my content will be less frequent for my sanity, and so I can deliver genuine experiences to you. (I will also be going outside every 30 minutes for the next few months for potty breaks, so how's that for genuine? Ha!)


This definitely was not the post I was planning to write. I actually wan't even planning to write at all- but this message just flowed from my heart. Use this as a reminder to be receptive and keep your heart open. Remove all the doubts, worry, and fear that we sometimes allow to consume us. Make space to allow the opportunities to present themselves. Pray.


Friends, here's your daily dose of puppy cuteness, and use it as a reminder to take care of yourself. Go for a walk, have a good long chat with a long distance friend. Make yourself a nice hot cup of coffee- and mommas especially- take some time to drink it while hot!

Gotta run outside for a potty break! Enjoy every moment!
Plenty more pup pics @goldenreytriever.
Photography by Kristin Ariel Photography. She's the best! Guess who is on her homepage? 
Read more about her on my photography post.

No comments

Post a Comment